Today, developers at WordPress has introduced themes to their official site and they call it “Theme Directory”. This official WordPress Theme Directory will host and showcase beautiful GPL themes . This is a good news both for bloggers and theme authors. Now, bloggers can find some cool themes at a single, reliable place. And the theme authors will be able to upload and host their themes on this directory. WordPress will also provide detailed information about downloads, user ratings and feedbacks for each theme.
All themes are reviewed before inclusion in the theme directory and there are some specific requirements, that must be fulfilled in order to get your WordPress theme included. Some of those requirements are:
- A single zip file, with all of the files themes file included.
- There must be a style. css file containing Name, Tags, Version and Image align classes.
- The screenshot file name must be screenshot.png, and be a real screenshot of the theme, not a splash screen.
- Licensing must be GPL compatible.
- No hidden, paid or sponsored links in the theme. Links back to the author’s site are fine.
- The theme must be your own original work.
Like the Plugins section, the new Themes section on WordPress.org will categorize themes according to tags. You will be able to test drive every theme and even you can give ratings and feedbacks. Right now, they only have three themes. But, I am sure that soon we will be able to see some really beautiful themes on the WordPress Theme Directory.